Friday 19 August 2016

Goal 1: Well-paid Summer Job

My well-paying summer job this year was at a bank in the big town centre. I was basically the person who stands at the entrance and says "Hello good morning how can I help you?" really fast before they've walked past me. Just directing people and showing them how to use the machines really. It's very boring work, and it's horrible standing in one spot all day everyday. However, it's 9-5 and they pay me £9.84 an hour to do it so it's nothing to be sniffed at. Even when I have to spend 20 minutes explaining an overdraft to someone that doesn't understand negative numbers.

Today is my last day at the bank (writing this in my lunch break); I've spent 3 months here now as it's a temporary position. I've also kept up my pub job, just working 3 or 4 evenings a week there. I won't lie, it's been a real challenge working from 9am til midnight on those days, but it's what I needed to get my finances back on track. Now I can just work at the pub and start catching up on university work before I go back in September.
I feel so proud of myself for keeping it up and never missing a day, even when I was tired and drained and sleep deprived. It's made me appreciate my free time so much more, and let me know that I'm capable of working hard to get what I want. All that I need now is to translate that same drive to my degree, and next year should be a breeze. I'll treat uni like a 9-5 job and really strive to understand and apply all that weird obscure Physics knowledge. With student finance as well as part-time work at the pub I won't need to worry about money for a while so I can keep putting some aside for the future. It's a pity that saving is so difficult at the moment, with only 0.1% interest in my savings account. I've got the Help to Buy ISA now though, which is 2.5% until they reduce that too.

For the first time in a while, I've been feeling that the future for me is bright. I know what I need to do now to succeed, all that I need is to keep this positive mindset. It's crazy how much can change in half a year. Onwards and upwards!
Limpet x

No comments:

Post a Comment