Friday 20 May 2016

Your Father Smelt of Elderberries

It's been a while since I've done a new cross stitch, and I had this frame that needed filling. It's too large for a photograph, and I'd had my eye on this monty python cross stitch pattern because I love the font. I didn't have as much room as the pattern so I split the text up into three lines instead of two and added some different berries that filled up the empty space better. 

'Your Father Smelt of Elderberries' free cross stitch pattern
"Your mother was a hamster!"


If you haven't seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail: you're welcome. I may give this as a gift to either my mum or her boyfriend as they also love the film and I've already been on a bit of a Monty Python gift theme with them. Not yet though, I need to admire it on my shelf for a little while longer. The great thing about this pattern is that the writing contains most of the letters in the alphabet and the others should be pretty easy to make up. If I can find a free/very cheap cross stitch program I may give it a go and share it.

The final thing measured approximately 100x55 squares and fitted nicely into the 5x7" frame on 16-count aida. On the off-chance that anyone will find it useful, here's my modified pattern on graph paper:

Graph paper cross stitch chart
Kinda embarrassing, but (hopefully) clear enough to see the new spacing.

On a side note, I find stitching writing to be really fun because I never allow the needle to go more than two holes away from my current position. I know nobody ever sees the back but I like to to be neat because I know it's there. The whole thing becomes a bit of a puzzle and that for me is half the fun.

I wonder how many years I can get away with just cross stitch for presents?

L

No comments:

Post a Comment